Thursday, December 8, 2011

Trudging along

The bad days are getting fewer and farther between, mostly thanks to great friends and an annoyingly patient, funny husband. I'm serious, the man does more for me than I will ever deserve, but so far, neither of us are going anywhere, so I guess I just have to live with it.

For a while after the chemo, I was recovering pretty rapidly, and I could even see the progression from day to day. Now, recovery is much slower, but I do see the progression after a week or two. My biggest achievement over the last month is my hair coming back - it's super fuzzy and for a while it was finer than a baby's, but now it's getting darker, you can see the cowlicks and the patches of scalp are getting smaller. In the past two weeks, my eyebrows have come mostly back!!! I have tweezed them twice now! I swear my hair is growing faster than it ever has - even my armpit hair, which I'm sad to say was the first to make its return.

I'm learning better how to manage my time while I'm home alone. It was really hard for a while; I felt super worthless, I wasn't contributing, I had no outside contacts...but I'm learning to be more productive, even if it's just doing the dishes and then reading. Sounds lame, but it's a big improvement from laying in bed all day (well, let's not pretend I still haven't been doing that...haha). I'm also making more friends in the ward, and I'm learning that my value doesn't come from making a paycheck, which is hard because that's the first time in 9 years I haven't been (except for the stretch where I was attending two schools at once). I'm learning to actually enjoy my time alone all day, so much that I think it will be hard to go back to work. But I'm going to talk to the PMTS owner to see if I can work there again; I don't want to go back to the barbershop.

Now let's just hope my funny starts making a comeback soon :)


5 comments:

  1. I didn't notice a loss of your funny. I'm glad you're feeling better. KJ says she'd most likely be able to come up to SLC to make cookies next week or as it gets closer to Christmas. I hope you'll be up for it. If you need a hair cutting fix and some extra cash before you go back to work I'd love a trim (3+ inches). :) But only if you want to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear you're doing well! Sounds like the most important thing you could be doing is taking time for yourself, so hopefully you can enjoy it! Read lots of good books and take lots of naps. Congrats on the hair!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Girlfriend, being at home is the best! I always tell Srun I can't wait for the day he finally gets a good job so I can stay home. Glad things are going better for ya!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad that you posted an update. I still think about you and pray for you often.

    Love you!
    Heather Beck Jolley

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is so good to hear that you are doing better! I'd call getting out of bed is an achievement any day (even if you just move to the couch ;) Congrats on the eye brows! Boo on the underarm hair

    ReplyDelete