Sunday, July 3, 2011

What do I do?


But what I want now is advice from any of you who have had c-sections. That's pretty much what I went through, and I'm almost completely post-partum, without the baby. I can't really walk on my own, I'm not allowed to lift anything over 10 lbs for two weeks, no driving for at least two weeks - longer if I'm still on meds - and I'm sorry if this is TMI but I am bleeding worse than a period - guys I seriously just gave birth. To a tumor. (We went with Penelope.)

But now, because of the extent of the surgery/damage, I will have to have c-sections for all my babies. It's something about the chances of rupturing, and if you've had a c-sec before, your chances of rupturing during labor next time are less than 1%. If you've had something like more than one c-sec, your chances are 1-5%, and if you've had some of your uterus extracted and therefore shrunk, such as in the case of Yours Truly, the chances of your uterus rupturing in another labor are more than 5% (closer to 10-20%).

So. There's no way we're taking that chance, and I trust the doctors, and I can't say that I'm....disappointed by this development, per se, but I will say that it's a trip higher than Percocet to think that something's going to be one way your whole life - say, that you'll have your hoo-ha ripped open by multiple babies, you gear yourself up, try to find the positives - then, suddenly, someone tells you that's never ever an option, but instead they're going to slice your abs apart, staple you back together and call it good.

That entire paragraph was one sentence.

So any advice you have is appreciated. 'Cause this is gonna take some getting used to, and some prepping in a whole other way.

PS Is that not the creepiest painting you've ever seen? I couldn't not use it. The star is from me. For propriety.

4 comments:

  1. I have no wise wisdom - no babies for me yet - so I can't talk about a C-section experience. However, one of my BFFs had a C-section in January with her first baby and let me tell you, she was crushed at first. After having it done and taking the 8 weeks her doctor ordered her to take it easy, she felt a lot better about the fact that she didn't have to go through an episiotomy or worry about dilating and all that stuff. So, I think either way, you can see a bright side to it. I know it must suck, though. I'd be crushed if I knew I could never do a vaginal birth. I don't know why - I mean, at the end of the day having a healthy baby is the only thing that matters - but I can admit that it would be somewhat disappointing to never have that form of experience. Hang in there, girlie. I'm glad Penelope got her eviction notice and you're doing well! Sending much love and good thoughts your way! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found your blog today :)
    I had a C-section, after a 30 hour labor where I basically did everything but have the baby come out.(Little stinker didn't want to budge, and there were some other issues with me and her).
    I was disappointed especially after all that work. I am gonna try for a vbac, but I know another c-section is a possibility. A few words of advice:
    If you can it is best to wait to have the c-section until your body starts going into labor on its own. That is usually a good sign that baby is ready to come out, lungs are developed enough etc. For one baby that might be at 37 weeks, for another 41.
    Stay active during pregnancy. For me I think that helped my body heal a lot faster. I probably also felt a lot better since I lost 30 pounds baically over a week and could eat again without heartburn!I actually felt pretty normal once I'd caught up on sleep a little and could walk around. (Then two weeks later I got knocked off my feet again by fun surgery and procedures to get rid of melanoma, but that is something that I hopefully won't have to deal with next time!)
    If you plan on nursing, C-section delivery can be an obstacle, but not an impossible one. Learn all you can about nursing beforehand. Make sure you try to nurse as soon as you can after surgery. Milk comes in slower after a c-sections but most the time it will so keep trying, even if you have to supplement a little at first. The medicines they give you for surgery can make you and baby groggy, and a sleepy baby has a harder time staying alert to nurse. My baby lost a lot of weight at first because she was too tired to eat. The best things I did was stop taking percocet as soon as I could stand it, and keep her in my room and on me skin to skin as much as possible. That way I was very alert to her hunger cues. Being able to successfully nurse despite these obstacles is one thing that helped ease the disappointment over my unsuccessful labor.
    That's all I can think of let me know if you have any other questions :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, found your blog from Rants from Mommyland (nice guest post!), and thought I'd chip in.

    I didn't realize how bummed I was about having a c-section until many weeks afterwards, when talking to other moms I realized that I'd felt cheated somehow. Which anyone who has been through labor will roll her eyes at, but, screw them. Over the past two years, I've realized that it was merely the first time that something I had envisaged about being a mom didn't turn out to be just like how I'd imagined it -- and frankly, that's what being a mom is all about. You may have all kinds of ideas about what you want, but kids are going to do their own darn thing, and for me that started with junior's exit strategy.

    In case you read back through the comments...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone. Greenlight I think you're exactly right, I need to get used to having no expectations and go from there!

    ReplyDelete